Middle Seat is a digital consulting firm founded by former Bernie 2016 digital and organizing staff. We work with campaigns, nonprofits, advocacy organizations and causes on the front lines of racial justice, climate action, privacy and tech policy, immigrant rights, and economic justice. We’re looking for a full-time UI designer with experience creating elegant design solution for the web.
Why Middle Seat
- Competitive salaries and great benefits
- We only work for progressive organizations, candidates, and causes
- We’re a proudly unionized team — part of the Campaign Workers Guild
- Get in on the ground floor of a growing operation
- Collaborate with agency team members, clients, and development to define and implement innovative solutions for the product direction, visuals and experience
- Execute all visual design stages from concept to final hand-off to development
- Conceptualize original ideas that bring simplicity and great UX to complex design problems
- Create wireframes, storyboards, user flows, sitemaps, and prototypes to effectively communicate interaction and design ideas
- Collaborate with Middle Seat team members and clients to develop an understanding of project problems and goals.
- Effectively present and defend designs and deliverables to team members, clients, and other stakeholders
- Work with analytics team to evaluate user behavior and provide design adjustments based on findings
- Establish and promote design guidelines, best practices and standards
- Stay up-to-date with the latest UI trends, techniques, and technologies
- Provide occasional design support for Middle Seat’s creative team
- Deep understanding of graphic communication concepts
- Familiarity with Adobe Suite
- Strong understanding of typographic and layout principles
- Demonstrable UI design skills with a strong portfolio
- Excellent visual design skills with sensitivity to user-system interaction
- Ability to present your designs and sell your solutions to various stakeholders.
- Ability to solve problems creatively and effectively
- Strong written communication abilities
- Demonstrated understanding of benefits and creation of design systems
- Deep understanding of principles and implications of responsive web design
- Ability to effectively communicate visual design adjustments to developers based on “in development” projects
Strongly preferred but not required
- Familiarity with prototyping applications (Sketch, Framer, Figma, etc.)
- Agency experience
- Knowledge and proficiency in basic video editing
- Proficiency of motion graphics design
Salary, Benefits, and Middle Seat Mantra
We are committed to building a diverse and passionate team. The salary for this particular position is $60,000 to $80,000, dependent on relevant years of experience. Middle Seat offers competitive salaries and a generous benefits package, including benefits for: medical, vision, dental, retirement with 5% match, and commuting.
Our firm is values-driven. We are intentional with the decidedly left-of-center clients we work with — and we strive to make our work environment and benefits reflect that, including salary transparency, healthy work-life balance, and consistent employee feedback and communication. We’re happy to talk more about our company culture with prospective applicants.
We are committed to building a diverse and passionate team. We encourage creative-minded individuals with a strong technical aptitude to apply for this position. Women, people of color, and LGBTQ individuals are encouraged to apply.