Middle Seat is a full-service media and fundraising firm for progressive causes and candidates. Whether it’s AOC or the ACLU, MoveOn or the Powered by People PAC, the Working Families Party or Women’s March, we work with progressive campaigns, nonprofits, advocacy organizations and causes that are on the front lines of important fights.
We also put a premium on honoring the authentic perspective of our clients, and support our clients taking principled stances even when that means pushing the envelope or shaking things up in the progressive space.
Our firm is values-driven. We are intentional with the decidedly left-of-center clients we work with — and we strive to make our work environment and benefits reflect that, including healthy work-life balance and consistent employee feedback and communication. We’re happy to talk more about our company culture with prospective applicants.
About the Role
Managing Digital Advertising Strategists will manage and work on Middle Seat’s largest ad programs for progressive candidates, political committees, and organizations while also managing 3-4 ads team members.
You will have years of experience across all objectives in advertising — direct donate, awareness, and persuasion ads. You’ll have worked with vendors and other marketers in our space to execute large-scale campaigns successfully. As an experienced advertiser, this job is an opportunity to work on some of the most notable fundraising and advocacy programs in our space while also passing on your learnings to other ads team members. You will lead on strategy and execution with some of our most important clients and work.
You will also have a proven ability to not just work as part of a team but the ability to lead a team. Your role will be a balance of client work, managing employees within the ads team, and contributing to managing the ads department. You will be an effective manager, mentor, and leader on the ads team.
This role is roughly 70% client work and 30% team management work.
- You will be responsible for the growth and success of 3-4 ads staffers. This includes weekly check-ins and twice a year performance reviews. You will make recommendations for raises, promotions and discipline to the Ads Director. You’ll lead the onboarding and training of each of your staff with guidance and review from the Ads Director.
- Help develop and implement ads team processes and training. With guidance from the Ads Director, you’ll assist with developing and implementing all internal and external processes and training.
- Make recommendations for ads team management as a whole (beyond your team) and assist with hiring for the entire ads team. Take part in weekly ads management meetings and discuss growth of the ads team.
- Take part in the broader management of Middle Seat including the sales process, team-wide issues and communication of those efforts to staff.
- Encourage strong cross team collaboration. Serve as a leader in developing strategy and new messaging ideas, collaborating with the email, creative, social and web development teams to bolster our clients advertising programs.
- Manage 3-4 large clients as lead strategist on direct donate, acquisition and persuasion campaigns, managing the client relationships and working collaboratively with assigned ads staffers on accounts.
- Plan and run digital ads campaigns from start to finish: budget campaigns, come up with good hooks for the ad program, write excellent content, lead designers on creative, optimize pages for conversions, implement & test ad campaigns on multiple platforms, and optimize campaigns toward client goals.
- Embed yourself in the work of your clients: join their Slack teams, calls, list serves, etc. to facilitate a deeper, more timely understanding of their work — all with the goal of being in a position to proactively guide client strategy as it touches your work rather than simply responding to requests by clients on a task-by-task basis.
- Manage your time and your projects well: frequently assess your priorities and to-dos, delegating tasks where appropriate and shifting gears where necessary to ensure your projects stay on track, you appropriately capitalize on rapid response opportunities, and you promptly respond to requests and inquiries from your clients.
- Ensure best practices and effective political ad strategies are followed; work with the email fundraising team to integrate ads fully and ensure the ad strategy aligns with the client’s larger mission and campaign objectives; provide strategic ideas and lead conversations on ad practices and tactics; stay up to date on all persuasion, voter reg and GOTV studies.
- Analyze and report back campaign metrics to clients effectively and without errors. Conduct in-depth analysis on your clients ad campaigns to help inform future strategy, messaging and targeting.
- Lead ads team & fuller staff in ads trainings in all core best practices and platforms
- Other responsibilities as requested.
- Proven success as a manager and/or Senior Strategist or equivalent experience
- Proven ability to not just work as part of a team but the ability to lead a team
- 4+ years (more is preferred) working on advertising campaigns with Facebook Business Manager, Google Search and any DSPs (The Trade Desk, Verizon, DV360, etc)
- Experience in excel or Google Sheets, report template design and other data visualization tools
- Great all-around communication skills, including strong copywriting skills and the ability to effectively communicate best practices, strategies, plans and goals to clients and staff
- Expert attention to detail and organization while managing tight deadlines and multiple projects
- Comfortable managing multiple client relationships from start to finish
- Comfortable with different email CRMs to run acquisition campaigns (Action Kit, BSD, Action Network, etc.)
- Digital ad experience for political candidates, advocacy orgs or organizations that do elections work.
Strongly Preferred but Not Required
- Agency experience
- Knowledge of basic HTML and CSS for landing page templating
- Experience pitching clients on an ads budget
- Demonstrated commitment to progressive politics
Salary and Benefits
- This particular position is $90,000 to $100,000, dependent on relevant experience
- Profit sharing plan: share in the growth and success of Middle Seat
- Mobile phone reimbursement up to $50 per month
- 100% coverage for health, dental and vision
- Zero deductible health plan
- One Medical health service: video call or chat with doctors, no wait-time appointments
- Health Advocate: 24/7 assistance with navigating health benefits, finding providers through
- 6% employer match on your 401k retirement account
- 20 paid vacation days off, plus your birthday and your Anniversary at Middle Seat
- Unlimited sick leave
- Commuter benefits for public transportation
- Office Space (WeWork, etc) Stipend for Remote Employees
- 12 weeks of paid leave for new parents
- $100 monthly student loan reimbursement
- $300 monthly mental health reimbursement
- $1,000 annual professional development reimbursement
This is a full-time, permanent role, and it can be based in DC or remotely within the US.
We are a proudly unionized team (part of the Campaign Workers Guild), and this role is covered by a collective bargaining agreement.
We are committed to building a diverse and passionate team. We encourage creative-minded individuals with a strong technical aptitude to apply for this position. Women, people of color, and LGBTQ+ individuals are encouraged to apply.
Our firm is values-driven. We are intentional with the decidedly left-of-center clients we work with — and we strive to make our work environment and benefits reflect that, including salary transparency, healthy work-life balance, and consistent employee feedback and communication. We’re happy to talk more about our company culture with prospective applicants.