Middle Seat is a full-service media and fundraising firm for progressive causes and candidates.
Whether it’s AOC or the ACLU, MoveOn or the Movement for Black Lives, the Working Families Party or the Women’s March, we work with progressive campaigns, nonprofits, advocacy organizations and causes that are on the front lines of important fights.
We also put a premium on honoring the authentic perspective of our clients, and support our clients taking principled stances even when that means pushing the envelope or shaking things up in the progressive space.
Our firm is values-driven. We are intentional with the decidedly left-of-center clients we work with — and we strive to make our work environment and benefits reflect that, including salary transparency, healthy work-life balance, and consistent employee feedback and communication. We’re happy to talk more about our company culture with prospective applicants.
About the Role
We’re looking for a full-time Senior Digital Advertising Strategist with a few years of experience in the field to take on the challenge of managing digital advertising campaigns and client relationships for 3-4 of our large clients.
The work will be mostly focused on direct-response ads on Facebook, but large-scale persuasion/awareness campaigns and other types of digital advertising (e.g. Google ads) will also be part of the job.
Previous ad experience in the context of politics or advocacy is a major plus, as is a demonstrated commitment to progressive politics.
Are you a strong, creative copywriter with good multi-tasking and delegation skills who can manage client relationships and run an ads program from soup to nuts with little to no intervention from more senior staff? If so, please read on!
- Manage 3-4 large clients as lead strategist on direct donate, acquisition and persuasion campaigns, managing the client relationships and working collaboratively with assigned ads staffers on accounts
- Run digital ads campaigns from start to finish: budget campaigns, come up with good hooks for the ad program, write excellent content, lead designers on creative, optimize pages for conversions, implement & test ad campaigns on multiple platforms, and optimize campaign toward client goals.
- Embed yourself in the work of your clients: join their Slack teams, calls, list serves, etc. to facilitate a deeper, more timely understanding of their work — all with the goal of being in a position to proactively guide client strategy as it touches your work rather than simply responding to requests by clients on a task-by-task basis.
- Manage your time and your projects well: frequently assess your priorities and to-dos, delegating where appropriate and shifting gears where necessary to ensure your projects stay on track, you appropriately capitalize on rapid response opportunities, and you promptly respond to requests and inquiries from your clients.
- Ensure best practices and effective political ad strategies are followed; work with the email fundraising team to integrate ads fully and ensure the ad strategy aligns with the client’s larger mission and campaign objectives; provide strategic ideas and lead conversations on ad practices and tactics; stay up to date on all persuasion, voter reg and GOTV studies
- Analyze and report back campaign metrics to clients effectively and without errors
- Lead ads team & fuller staff in ads trainings in all core best practices and platforms
- Other responsibilities as requested
- 3+ years (more is preferred) working on advertising campaigns with major platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Adwords, Reddit, etc.)
- 2+ years experience working with Facebook Business Manager, Google Search & Twitter Ads
- Great all-around communication skills, including strong copywriting skills and the ability to effectively communicate best practices, strategies, plans and goals to clients and staff
- Attention to detail and organization while managing tight deadlines and multiple projects
- Comfortable managing a client relationship from start to finish
- Comfortable with different email CRMs to run acquisition campaigns (Action Kit, BSD, Action Network, etc.)
Strongly Preferred but Not Required
- Digital ad experience for political candidates, advocacy orgs or organizations that do elections work.
- Agency experience
- Knowledge of basic HTML and CSS for landing page templating
- Experience pitching clients on an ads budget
- Experience mentoring entry-level staff or interns
- Demonstrated commitment to progressive politics
Salary & Benefits
- This particular position is $70,000 to $85,000, dependent on relevant experience
- Profit sharing plan: share in the growth and success of Middle Seat
- $50 mobile phone subsidy monthly
- 100% coverage for health, dental and vision
- Zero deductible health plan
- One Medical health service: video call or chat with doctors, no wait-time appointments
- Health Advocate: 24/7 assistance with navigating health benefits, finding providers through
- 5% employer match on your 401k retirement account
- 20 paid vacation days off, plus your birthday and May Day off
- Unlimited sick leave
- Commuter benefits for public transportation
- For in-office employees, work from home one day per week (after your first six months)
- 12 weeks of paid leave for new parents
This is a full-time, permanent role, and it can be based in DC or remotely within the US.
We are a proudly unionized team (part of the Campaign Workers Guild), and this role is covered by a collective bargaining agreement.
Our clients are on the front lines of fights for racial justice and immigrant rights, and fights against patriarchy, transphobia and homophobia. We recognize that we’re able to do our best work when our staff includes people who are directly impacted by these fights. Women, people of color, and LGBTQ+ individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.
Middle Seat is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all individuals. All qualified applicants will be considered.